Sale | Purchase | Refinance | Title Transfer

Real Estate Lawyer Toronto 

Buying, Selling or Refinancing a Home is exciting as well as a stressful process. At Shaikh Law, we aim to provide a smooth, efficient and enjoyable experience for our clients. Our Real Estate Lawyer Toronto has the experience, knowledge and expertise to help our client with a range of Transactions, including residential Sale, Purchase, Refinance, same day Sale & Purchase, bridge financing, interim closings for a townhouse or a condo, Secondary Mortgage, Line of Credit, Discharge of Mortgage, Transfer of title of Matrimonial Home as per Separation Agreement or Court Order, Simple Transfer of Title, Private Lending, Independent Legal Advice Real Estate or Mortgage (ILA) and much more. Our real estate lawyer Toronto fees structure and closing cost are transparent, and there are no hidden charges or surprises.

 When you come to our Real Estate Lawyer in Toronto, you know that you will be coming to an experienced real estate lawyer downtown Toronto, whether you are buying or selling a house, cottage, vacant land or condominium. 

Your Toronto Real Estate Lawyer will ensure to prevent any possible legal risks at the very outset of your transaction. We give each file individual attention from start to finish and treat our clients as friends and family. 


real estate lawyers toronto

What We Can Do For You?


$900 + HST


$810 + HST


$810 + HST

Real Estate Lawyer Toronto Fees

How much does a real estate lawyer cost in Toronto? In Toronto, real estate lawyers cost between $450 to $1500 for buying or selling a house depending upon the complexity of all the legal paperwork. Some lawyers in Toronto charge an hourly rate between $150 to $350 an hour and disbursements. At Shaikh Law, our Lawyers in Toronto charge fixed legal fees for closing a residential real estate transaction. We have a transparent legal fee structure without any hidden charges or costs. 

Our Real Estate Lawyer Toronto Fees Structure is Transparent in accordance with the Law Society Rules 4.2-2.1

Real Estate Lawyer Fees For Purchase

Our real estate lawyer Toronto fees for Buying a  property is $900 + Tax for a Cash Purchase.  However, if purchasing with a Mortgage then Legal fees will be $999+ Tax. (Add $99 + Tax  for Closings in 2021)


  • One Title Search;
  • Two Writ Searches;
  • Two Execution Searches;
  • Bank Charges, including Two Certification of Cheques;
  • Printing, Courier Charges;
  • Phone & Fax charges;
  • Software Charges;
  • File Opening Charges;
  • One Appointment/ Mobile Signing;
  • After Office Hours Appointment;
  • Securing Title Insurance;


  • Land Transfer Tax; (Charged As Per Invoice)
  • Title Insurance; (Charged As Per Invoice)
  • Registration Cost per Transfer or per Mortgage $78; (Charged As Per Invoice)
  • Stewart Assyst Charge $28.30 (Charged As Per Invoice)
  • Additional Title Searches (If required, Charged as per Invoice).

Real Estate Lawyer Fees For Sale

Our real estate lawyer Toronto fees for Selling a  property is $810 + Tax. (Add $99 + Tax  for Closings in 2021)


  • One Mortgage Payout or Any other payout;
  • Bank Charges, including Two Certification of Cheques;
  • Printing, Courier Charges;
  • Phone & Fax charges.
  • Software Charges;
  • File Opening Charges;
  • One Appointment/ Mobile Signing;
  • After Office Hours Appointment;


  • Law Society Levy $65;
  • Per additional Payout $63 + Tax if required;

Real Estate Lawyer Fees for Refinance

Our Toronto Real Estate Lawyer Fees for Refinancing a  property is $810 + Tax. (Add $99 + Tax  for Closings in 2021)


  • One Mortgage Payout or Any other payout;
  • Bank Charges, including Two Certification of Cheques;
  • Printing, Courier Charges;
  • Phone & Fax charges;
  • Software Charges;
  • File Opening Charges;
  • One Appointment/ Mobile Signing;
  • After Office Hours Appointment;
  • Securing Title Insurance.


  • Title Insurance;
  • Per additional Payout $63 + Tax if required.

Interim Closing (Condo Only)

Real estate lawyer downtown Toronto Legal Fees for Interim Closing for Condos is $450 + Taxes inclusive of all Law Office Disbursements. 

Inerim Closing Cost in Toronto
real estate lawyer fees for title transfer in toronto

Simple Title Transfer

Legal Fees for a Simple Title Transfer is $900 + Tax provided no mortgage is being ported.

However, Legal Fees for Title Transfer with mortgage transfer is $999 +Tax.


Land Transfer Tax
Title Insurance (If required by the Lender)
Registration Fees $73

Review of Agreement of Purchase

Our real estate lawyer downtown Toronto Fees for review of Agreement of Purchase and Sale is $270 + Taxes. 

The Legal Fees includes Lawyer’s Approval letter as to form and content to satisfy Lawyer’s review condition in the agreement, plus four proposed revisions or counter offers to the Agreement of Purchase and Sale.

lawyer for review of agreement of purchase and sale APS Toronto


Our residential real estate lawyer downtown Toronto all-inclusive Flat Legal Fees is based on a residential transaction for a vacant single-family property on the date of closing and upon receipt of mortgage instructions seven days prior closing (if applicable)

Rush Fees

 Rush Fees of $450 would apply to closing costs if documents or instructions are received less seven days prior to closing. If you are seeking to close a Commercial Real Estate Transaction, please visit our Corporate Lawyer Page.

Why Choose US


Real estate lawyer Toronto most frequent questions and answers


You do not need a home inspection but it is strongly recommended to get a home inspection done before buying a property. Ideally, it should be a pre-condition before the Agreement of Sale and purchase becomes binding. The inspection report will reflect if the property meets the building and zoning laws. The inspection may not reflect hidden defects since it is a visual inspection of the property, such as plumbing, foundation, electrical wiring, ventilation, and roof conditions, to name a few items. A home inspection cost may range from $300 to $600, depending on the property’s shape and size. 

Generally speaking, one lawyer cannot represent both parties in a real estate transaction in Ontario. Only in exceptional and limited circumstances, one lawyer is permitted to represent both parties, for example where the transferor and the transferee are the same but the legal status of the property is to be changed such as severance of land.

We have a detailed article on this topic “Can a Real Estate Lawyer Represent both buyer and seller” Click Here.

On the Closing Date, we can only release the keys once we have registered the property in the purchaser’s name. In other words, we can only release keys to our clients once they become the property owner. It is common for mortgage funds to arrive by 4:30 pm on the closing date, thereby resulting in a delay in releasing the keys. If we receive funds within time, then we can release keys between 4 pm to 6 pm.

Yes, we usually send a draft set of documents ready for signatures a day before our appointment. Please take the time to check the name spelling and registration status—Example Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common. Please do not be alarmed if you do not understand that legal jargon. At the time of our appointment, one of our real estate lawyers Toronto will discuss all documents you will be signing in detail.

Yes, our real estate lawyer in Toronto can sign up clients online, provided we can verify your original IDs. In some cases, we may need to meet in person to verify your IDs and witness your signatures in original. 99% of the real estate transaction can are online. If you have scheduled an online meeting with your lawyer, please ensure you have access to a smartphone, desktop, camera, mic and high-speed internet. Online real estate meetings could be delayed due to setup issues on the client-side.

The Police maintain a list of marijuana grow operations, but there is no public database of suicides, murders or other crimes.

A seller must disclose if a grow op when:

    1. there is an actual material latent defect of which the seller knows or ought to have known;
    2. the buyer asks a specific question or expresses a specific concern;
    3. the Agreement of Purchase and Sale contains representations that the property was not used as a grow op or for criminal activity; or
    4. there is some statutory and or regulatory requirement for such disclosure to be made.

As a buyer, you should ask as many questions as possible and complete due diligence on the property prior to signing the Purchase and Sale Agreement. Signs are difficult to spot; it is recommended to get a home inspection done and get it in writing from the seller that the property was not used as a grow op. 

Check  RECO website for Signs of Grow Ops

This is a question posed by many agents and clients looking to help their potential foreign purchasers with property purchases. YES, a foreigner can purchase a property in Ontario. Any person, partnership, corporation, or trust (a legal entity), regardless of whether they are domestic or foreign, is eligible to purchase Ontario real estate.

In Toronto, real estate lawyers acting for purchasers are required as part of their responsibilities to advise their clients about their options concerning the title to their property. 

A property title is a legal document describing the property and confirming your ownership. Therefore title insurance is an insurance policy to protect ownership of the property.

No, you do not have to take title insurance if you are purchasing a property in Ontario. A purchaser can obtain either a lawyer’s opinion as to title or get title insurance to protect their ownership of the property.

 However, it is always a mortgage condition to obtain title insurance for a purchase with a mortgage.

A lawyer’s opinion on the title is based on title and off-title searches, a review of an up-to-date survey showing the buildings and boundaries’ location and any additional information provided to the lawyer. 

The opinion letter can not protect against title fraud, and title searches are can only go up to 50 years back. The cost to get an update survey and title and off title searches could be significantly higher than ordering title insurance.

With regards to a refinance transaction the “closing costs” apart from the disbursements and legal fees there would be Title Insurance and Government Registration.

This will certainly be an issue. Either the seller will need to produce the money at the point of sale or other arrangements should be made. This is a question be posed to your lawyer as it is more complicated than a FAQs section can answer easily. Be assured however that this is a rare occurrence.

Two HST rebate programs exist. The first is for those purchasers who will be living in the property, the second for those who will be renting it out. Because it is likely that a foreigner will be buying a property for rental, then they will be able to apply through the rental rebate program for the HST rebate. The amount offered in the rebate is the same as that offered under the HST rebate program for owner-occupiers. The difference is that on closing the builder will not give the HST rebate to the buyer and they will need to pay this, as well as the purchase price, to the builder. Following closing and once the property has been rented out, the purchaser will be able to apply to the rental program for the HST rebate.

In general, if you would like to control how your property is distributed when you die then Yes you should have a Will.

Yes. Not every foreigner (those persons who live in Canada but are not citizens or permanent residents) is a non-resident for purposes of income tax.

Yes, a foreigner who is not a resident may try to lie, but if the lawyer acting on behalf of the seller believes that his client is not a resident then he will not move forward with the transaction under any terms, and the seller will need to either change lawyer or comply with the process. In Canada, the tax system works on a system of honesty and voluntary disclosure.

Theoretically yes, it is. You will need to consider the two-step process we already referred to. Suppose you can find a lender who will let you have the money, regardless of the fact that with your current mortgage you are underwater. In that case, your lawyer will need to follow instruction from the new lender and complete the loan transaction accordingly.

Yes, they do. Mortgage payments, possibly payments for maintenance, taxes relating to the property and utility payment will all need to be made using a bank account held locally, so it is important to open one. This should also be used to deposit rents.

Yes, a bank will be vouched for by a client of good standing open a bank account for a foreigner without them needing to be present. You should speak to your local banker for details of this.

In general, this credit will not apply. This credit is given to those people who are purchasing their first home and have never owned property elsewhere, and who are planning to use this property as their principal residence in the 9 months following the purchase. In general, these circumstances do not apply to foreigners, particularly the last one. There are circumstances however when a foreigner might qualify, for example, a foreigner who has applied for Canadian permanent residence status and has been granted it and plans to move to Canada but hasn’t yet done so.

In general the answer is no. The only time aa spouse would need to sign to consent to a mortgage is if it is being arranged on a family (matrimonial) residence. As the foreigner will not be living in the property with their spouse, then their signature will not be required. If both spouses are purchasing the property and taking the title, then this does not apply, and both will be required to be present in order to sign the document.

At the point of closing, the seller will need to give the purchaser a special document which declares if they are a resident or non-resident. It is not the purchaser’s duty to find out the status of the seller’s residency unless they have appropriate knowledge. Should the seller inform their lawyer that they are a non-resident for purposes of tax, the procedure above will begin. Should the foreigner sign a certificate that states that they are not a resident, then the procedure will not begin and on closing the seller will get all their money. In this instance, the purchaser is from all liability regardless of whether the foreigner was dishonest or not. It is the role of the purchaser to make sure that they have received a document from the seller that states the seller is not a resident or that makes sure that the lawyer acting on behalf of the seller holds back a sum equal to 25% of the price of purchase.

No. Land Transfer Tax is paid only at the time the property is being transferred from One party to another, whereas you have to pay property tax every year to the local municipality, as per the tax bill.

Usually, the property tax roll number and the amount is mentioned in the MLS listing, which is a great guide for you to know your annual property taxes. After purchase, we encourage you to call your local municipality and verify outstanding tax bill. The property tax adjustment is calculated in the Statement of Adjustments.

At times, your appointment will be arranged with a signer who is not a Lawyer. The signer is only required to view your identification and witness signatures on the documents provided for signing. The agent has been instructed NOT to provide legal advice or review documents in detail. Following your appointment, please review the documents emailed to you by our office and should you have any questions and/or concerns, contact our office or your lawyer directly for assistance.

Providing proper identification at the time of signing is very important. SHAIKH LAW FIRM has to meet the guidelines of the law society and if proper ID is not provided delays on your file occur. If this happens please show the signer as much ID as possible and the signer will record all ID available. Also advise why the proper ID is unavailable. You should contact SHAIKH LAW FIRM to discuss the ID issue and what can be done to resolve the matter to have your file completed.

If you are comfortable with signing the documents as they are, we recommend they be signed and that you contact SHAIKH LAW FIRM to discuss discrepancies. The Signer will notate our file to ensure we do not proceed to complete the file without clarifying these items with you. SHAIKH LAW FIRM can then determine if new documents are required based on the changes needed.

Funds are normally received by you within 1 to 2 business days following your closing. You would have to collect your certified cheque from our Head Office in Mississauga Square One location. Please contact SHAIKH LAW FIRM directly to make any revisions to your delivery options.

You need a real estate lawyer to buy a house in Toronto. A real estate sale or purchase transaction cannot be completed without hiring a real estate lawyer. Once you have decided to buy, you need to make an offer to purchase by sending a draft agreement of purchase and sale to the vendor. If the seller accepts the offer with or without conditions, you need to retain a real estate lawyer in Toronto to complete the transaction.

Under the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act and Regulations, the Ontario government established a private corporation called Tarion in 1976 to protect the right homeowner’s owners by regulating builders. The warranty covers deposits made as a down payment made to the builder.

The warrant also covers if in the event the builder delays the closing without giving proper notice. After you move into the property, you can opt for one, two year and seven-year warranties.

First-year Tarion warranty covers defects in material, unauthorized change in construction or finishing, such as colours and styles, code violations.

Two-year Tarion Coverage includes water penetration to basement or foundation walls, windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, heating systems, and exterior work damage.

Seven-year Tarion Coverage includes major structural defects to the property such as damage to load-bearing walls or beams.

Click Here to Learn More.

Once we have registered the property in your name, we will email you a copy of the transfer and mortgage (if applicable) and will advise you that the keys are ready for pick up. The hard copies of all the documents signed, including title insurance, statement of adjustments, trust ledger and our report on the title, will be available for pick up within two to three weeks from the date of closing.

Suppose you are purchasing with a mortgage. Then, in addition to your deposit made at the time of the offer to purchase, you need to make arrangements for your legal fees, land transfer tax, title insurance, government registration cost, plus any shortfall towards your downpayment. We cannot give you a specific amount until we have received a statement of adjustments from the seller’s lawyer and mortgage instructions. Both sets of documents arrive a few days before closing. In some cases, a few hours before closing. Therefore, we cannot give a specific amount until all documentation is complete.

A Seller is under an obligation in law to disclose any defects within their knowledge, such as revealing if the property is dangerous or likely to be dangerous or unfit for habitation (i.e.: mould issues etc.)

A seller is not liable for a hidden defect unless the seller had full knowledge of such a defect. The seller is also under an obligation to disclose known defects from the date of signing the agreement until closing.

No. Land Transfer Tax is paid only at the time the property is being transferred from one party to another, whereas you have to pay property tax every year to the local municipality, as per the tax bill.

No, foreign buyers do not have to pay additional property tax. However, 15% Non‑Resident Speculation Tax (NRST) will be applicable at the time of purchase if the property is located within the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGH).

No. There are no restrictions except additional tax at the time of buying the property only if the property is located within the Greater Golden Horseshoe Region (GGH).

Generally yes. However, a local mortgage broker/agent could best answers this question. A foreigner may get approval for a mortgage if they have enough money for a down payment. This will usually need to be 35% or above. Also, the foreigner might need to prove that he has some form of income in his local country that would support the application for a mortgage loan. They will also most likely need a reference letter written by their foreign financial institution. Any questions regarding this are usually best answered by a mortgage broker/agent.

What are the keys benefits of Title Insurance?

 A policy of title insurance will ensure the client against losses resulting from various matters, including the essential matters such as:

  1. The client’s title is defective or unmarketable because of someone else’s interest in the client’s title.
  2. Outstanding liens, work orders or encumbrances.
  3. Realty tax arrears. 
  4. There is also coverage for many survey related matters, including encroachments (other than fences and boundary walls) and violations of municipal set back requirements. With certain exceptions, such as for post-policy date title fraud, coverage for losses applies to the extent that these matters exist as of the policy date (being the date client’s Transfer is registered) but unknown to the client at that time.
  5. Most lenders will accept title insurance policy instead of an up to date survey (which is often required by a lender), therefore, saving the client the cost of obtaining a new survey.
  6. coverage for loss or damage arising from many forms of title fraud;
  7. a no-fault claims process such that clients do not have to demonstrate negligence to make a claim.

Title insurance does not cover defects known before closing the transaction (such as adverse circumstances disclosed in a home inspection report or seller property information statement). The client may have agreed to in the client’s Agreement of Purchase Sale. All policies are subject to exclusions and exceptions, including but not necessarily limited to environmental matters and native land claims.

In general, yes, however, there may be some suspicion that this is not appropriate for legal reasons. There should, in general, be no reason for a seller to make a request like this, except if they are in the process of emigrating to another country and have close their bank accounts in preparation.

Not on its own, no. Unlike some other countries, for example, some in the Caribbean, the purchase of a property does not afford the buyer an automatic right to permanent residency.

Yes, the lawyer does not need to forward the money to the foreigner and can use them to fund another purchase that is pending.

There may be costs for an accountant, but other than that no. Legal fees may be increased due to the lawyer needing to hold money back and “manage” it for a short while. However, in general, there should be no additional fees, costs, or taxes.

Yes. Any foreigner who is selling real estate will be required to undergo special procedures that are not necessary for Canadian residents. There is a Canadian exemption of income tax in respect of principal residences; however, a foreigner will not benefit from this because if he lives abroad, this is not his principal residence. So that the Canada Revenue Agency receive their share, they will attach the liability for ta to the purchaser. So, the purchaser will need to make sure that the fair share of the taxes is paid by the seller. There is a special procedure that is therefore used when the person selling the property is a foreigner.

When a deal approaches the closing stage with a lawyer, the lawyer who is working on behalf of the seller (the requirement is actually on the lawyer for the purchase, but a practice has developed where the lawyer for the seller participates) will keep back 25% of the sale price from the seller. For example, with a sale price of $1,000,000 the lawyer working for the seller with hold back from their client $250,000, only $750,000 will be released to the seller, this amount will, of course, be reduced by any mortgage and commission amount etc. Once closing has taken place, the seller should engage the services of an accountant who will submit a special application to the Canada Revenue Agency. This will outline the amount of profit that the seller received for this real estate purchase. In general, these profits are calculated taking the sale price, deducting expenses (including commissions), the purchase price and any expenses that are linked to the purchase price in order to arrive at a final amount. This application is then assessed by the Canada Revenue Agency, and a Section 116 Certificate is issued. It is called a Section 116 certificate because it is issued according to section 116 of the Income Tax Act in Canada. The accountant will receive the certificate, which will tell them the amount of money that the seller will need to pay in respect of income tax. This figure will probably be about 25% of the profit (rather than the sale price). For example, if the net profit is $200,000, then an amount of $25,000 should be paid to the CRA. It will also state on the certificate that upon payment of the $50,000 to CRA, the person who is purchasing the property will have any liabilities. These liabilities rested with the purchaser in order to ensure that they paid the appropriate amount of tax. The seller’s lawyer will take $50,000 from the held back amount of $250,000 and forward this to the CRA, and then the balance can be released to the seller. They will have 10 days from this point to send an application to the CRA following closing. If this does not happen, there are significant penalties.

No, however proper identification from their home country is required. This can be a passport, a credit card issued by a financial institution or a driver’s licence written in English.

No. Refer to our answers to previous questions.

This is a very specific question and should be approached on a case-by-case basis. It is possible; however, a discussion should be had with your lawyer to decide if it is appropriate in the circumstances of your case.

No there are no restrictions they can sell property in the same way as anyone who lives there.

Once, we have registered the property in your name we will email you a copy of the Transfer and will advise you that the keys are ready for pick up. The hard copies of all the documents including our Report on the title will be available for pick up within two months from the date of closing.

As per our Law Firms practice all keys pick are to be made between 4 pm to 6 pm Monday to Friday at our Head Office (Mississauga Square One ) Location. Keys can be picked up from other locations on the next working day by Midday. If you wish to have your keys pick-up at a location other than our head office then you would need to specifically make a request in writing at

Our Office will provide you with a copy of the Trust Ledger with a balance to close amount. Please make a Certified Cheque or a Bank Draft in the name of “Shaikh Law Professional Corporation – In Trust” for the amount mentioned in the Trust Ledger.

No. We cannot accept payments by way of credit cards, since all funds are deposited in our Trust account.

Yes. Home Insurance or Fire Insurance is required when you are purchasing or refinancing a property. Once you have secured your Home Insurance you would have to instruct your Insurance broker to email our Office with a copy of the Insurance Binder at

As per the Law Society we require two pieces of Valid Identification front and back such as Canadian Drivers license or a valid Passport is required.

If a payment Frequency on the mortgage documentation shows a different frequency then requested by you please contact the Lender to adjust the frequency after funding to avoid a delay in the completion of your file.

Our Law Office will pay any debts that are specifically stated in the mortgage instructions and are part of the mortgage commitment. We would require copies of the last statements including your account number to ensure that we are able to pay off all the debts. If the payee names or amounts are not accurate immediately contact SHAIKH LAW FIRM. We will not send payments to the client to pay off the debts. It is the Law Office Responsibility to clear all debts from the Refinance amount.


Closing costs’ is the term used to refer to the expenses and legal fees required to be paid on closing. This might refer to the closing adjustments like prepaid property taxes, legal fees etc. 

Closing Costs when buying a property. 

  1. Land Transfer Tax Ontario
  2. Real Estate Lawyer Toronto Fees
  3. Real Estate Law office disbursements
  4. Title Insurance 
  5. Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on CMHC mortgages Insurance.
  6. Fire Insurance
  7. Registration of Transfer $78 & Mortgage $78
  8. Stewart Assyst Charge $28.30 (Applicable only if mortgage instructions are sent electronically to the lawyer)
  9. Bank Charges

Click Here to Learn More About Closing Cost when buying a house.

Closing costs’ is the term used to refer to the expenses and legal fees required to be paid on closing. This might refer to the closing adjustments like prepaid property taxes, legal fees etc. 

Closing Costs when buying a property. 

  1. Land Transfer Tax Ontario
  2. Real Estate Lawyer Toronto Fees
  3. Real Estate Law office disbursements
  4. Title Insurance 
  5. Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on CMHC mortgages Insurance.
  6. Fire Insurance
  7. Registration of Transfer $78 & Mortgage $78
  8. Stewart Assyst Charge $28.30 (Applicable only if mortgage instructions are sent electronically to the lawyer)
  9. Bank Charges

Click Here to Learn More About Closing Cost when buying a house.

The purchaser’s responsibility is to pay any closing costs, and it is paid at the point of closing. Closing costs is added to the purchase price.
For example, the balance purchase price is $500,000/- and your closing cost is $4,500, then this is the amount that will be added to the amount that is payable to the real estate lawyer at the time of closing.
This amount will be distributed to the relevant parties by your real estate lawyer in Toronto on the date of closing. The amount will also include any legal fees and disbursements owed to your lawyer. Your lawyer from the closing costs will also pay Land transfer taxes.

Depending on the type of transaction, closing costs will vary from resale purchase to a builder purchase. Builder purchase closing costs are higher because, in addition to standard closing costs, the statement adjustment includes additional expenses such as: 

  1. Tarion warranty.
  2. Development Charges.
  3. Paving of driveways & trees planted.
  4. Property tax adjustment,
  5. Interim Closing Legal Fees and Interim Occupany Fees (Condo Only)
  6. Extension fees
  7. NSF Fees for cheques deposited(if there are any),
  8. Installation and connection fees for meters etc.
  9. Unpaid interest (Condo Only) 

When it comes to condos, interim closing legal fees, interim closing occupancy fees, unpaid interest on the balance to pay for closing is an additional cost. Property taxes are prepaid on an estimated basis only since the property is newly built. The fuel oil tank (if there is one) and two months prepaid maintenance added to closing costs for a new built. Don’t forget the seller’s lawyer fees and disbursement added in the statement of adjustments as closing costs for a new build.

 In the case of a resale home, there will be none of these costs.

Closing costs is a loose term used to cover a wide variety of costs, expenses, and for this reason, it will depend on whom you are asking? If you were to ask an owner, he/she might include the cost of moving, whereas this is not the actual closing cost. A closing cost when selling a house includes:

  1. Realtor’s commission
  2. Real Estate Lawyer Toronto Fees for sale
  3. Real Estate Law office disbursements
  4. Law Society Levy & Mortgage Payouts

Click Here to Learn More About Closing Cost.

The average closing cost on a property in Ontario can range from 1.5% to 4% of the property purchase price. This cost is to be paid by the date of closing.

In addition to standard closing costs, some optional closing costs may apply when buying a house in Toronto. 

  1. Appraisal Fees. The bank charges this fee at the time of mortgage approval, usually between $300 to $400 for residential properties.
  2. Home Inspection. We recommend getting a home inspection before buying a property; it may cost between $300 to $600. 
  3. Property Insurance or Fire Insurance. When you buy a property, you need to get fire insurance for your home and its contents. 
  4. Utility Bills and Property Taxes Prepaid. If the seller has already prepaid utility bills or property taxes, the buyer would have to reimburse the seller at closing. 
  5. Moving Cost. Although this is not the official closing cost as far as a real estate lawyer is concerned. Despite the fact, the purchaser will incur expenses related to moving. 

Other than legal fees, title insurance, the cost of registration of a new mortgage, an additional charge for refinancing could apply. If your mortgage instructions require additional title searches, multiple payouts to different lenders or multiple registrations of lender’s lien on different properties, in addition to the original property. Such supplementary charges will only apply if the lender requires the lawyer to incur such expenses.

Refinance is a two-step process in Ontario. You first need to be approved by a financial institution for a loan, then you (and the lender) will need to retain the services of a real estate lawyer who will be able to receive mortgage instructions.

The lawyer will prepare the mortgage papers according to the instructions received from the lender.
As a borrower, you will sign any new mortgage documentation at the lawyer’s office. After that, refinance funds are sent from the lender to the lawyer’s trust, who will disburse it according to the instructions. At the same time, the lawyer will register a new mortgage against the property and remove the old mortgage, if required, as per the instructions.

It does not matter whether you are using a mortgage to purchase a property or paying with cash; the closing costs will remain the same. The only cost that may alter is the one that relates to lawyer disbursements, and this may be lower by a couple of hundred dollars.

Toronto Residents

Meeting Location in Toronto Downtown
We offer free home signing and have multiple meeting locations across the Greater Toronto Area, including one located in downtown Toronto’s heart at Bay Street, next to Union Station. Shaikh Law Firm -Toronto Downtown Branch meeting location can be booked by our clients for an appointment. 


TD Canada Trust Tower, 161 Bay St 27th Floor,
Toronto, ON M5J 2S1

Ph: (905) 795 7757
PH: (647) 812 6938
Fax: (905) 795 1271

Real Estate Lawyer Ottawa Home Signing

Find a Real Estate Lawyer Near You

We serve clients across the province of Ontario, Canada, if your city is not below listed please contact our Head Office.

Toronto Downtown |Etobicoke |Mississauga Square One | Streetsville |Brampton | Oakville | Milton | Hamilton | Guelph | Kitchener | Waterloo | Cambridge | Scarborough | North York | Markham | Vaughan | Richmond Hill | Barrie | Ottawa | London | Windsor | Oshawa|